Tuesday, October 27, 2015

What's new?


 
*September 26th (My last week in Uganda before visiting home)

Last week I got stuck in the middle of a downpour in downtown Kampala and found shelter at a small cafĂ© where I could wait out the storm. I don’t usually wear tank tops and had pulled out my white tank top just for something different. It was so hot outside and I wanted my shoulders to meet the sun for the first time in a long time. The dark clouds rolled in with the thunder and the rain began. I ran across the street looking for a safe and familiar haven at 1,000 cups coffee shop.  I found myself getting frustrated because there was no wifi, I didn’t carry my bible, and I was freezing because foolishly I had chosen the tank top instead of my go-to t-shirt. Just my luck. I had places to be and things that I wanted to get accomplished, but the Lord quieted my spirit and told me to sit down and stop making noise. (My loud clanging symbol was ringing at this point). Sometimes I get caught in crossfire of work and being so focused on the tasks at hand that I don’t stop to realize the opportunities that the Lord is allowing in my life. I want to be more observant.

How do you recap the busyness of life in a few short and simple words? Words that are meant to bring impact to somebody somewhere in the world. It is most possible that these ramblings are completely and perfectly for my own brain and that would be plenty enough. I am thankful that this is not a forced thing but an output to be able to fill with what God is revealing in my life. Through every valley and every storm He allows things to come into my life and still carries me to the next season. These blogs sometimes start so vague and can drag on like this forever so I want to cut to the chase and get straight to the point. How can I make my relationships more meaningful and deep rooted?

What is God teaching me right now?

-To rely on Him in EVERYTHING

-Even if I don’t have all the pieces I can still wait on the Lord while working towards a goal/ dream and be utilized by God in a specific way. To not lose my passion for Christ even in the busiest of seasons or experiences

-He has asked for my heart and I have willingly given it to him as a gift and I cannot take it back or modify my gift giving in any way. It belongs to Him wholly and completely.

-To not get caught up on the little distractions in life. If I am chasing after His heart- the rest will follow after: whether it be a job, family, or income.

-To guard my heart and thought life. I have total control of my mind and what I think about others and how I let them make me feel.

-How to make a genuine difference and utilize my gifts and talents to the best of my ability and to its fullest potential.

-To not rush what God is trying to do in my life- don’t move where He is supposed to move. Be still and quiet and calm. Wait on Him in all things.  

The one that has been the most highlighted in my life right now is that the Lord has blessed me with relationships like that of David and Jonathan. It has challenged me so much to think about all of my friendships. Like I said earlier, how can I make these relationships more meaningful and deep rooted?

1 Samuel 18

“Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.”

-Saul took David in because he realized how much his son loved him and scripture says he did not allot him to go back to his father’s home

How can Saul become so hard hearted towards David in such a quack amount of time and how can we learn from their relationship?

Scripture says that Saul was in fearful awe of David and the favor that fell upon him and he was in awe. I think of the word awe and it is a beautiful picture of just amazement almost to a point of disbelief. So much so that he just wanted to see David fail. He gave his daughter Michal to him and David loved her and she loved him very much. He went and killed 200 Philistines as the bride price for her. At one point while Saul was plotting against David- Michal heard of the plan and helped him escape and put pillows and goats hair in the place that he should sleep. Jonathan continued to keep tabs on his father’s plan and made him aware of what was going on.

Can my friendships be this genuine?

Where would you draw the line? How far would you be willing to go for the sake of a friendship? What does it take? What does that look like?

Seeking the kingdom first, building your relationship with Christ, and modeling the love that Christ has for the church. It looks like laying everything down and humbling yourself and putting others before your desires. Sometimes these simple truths that we hear so often just go in one ear and right out the other. How do you make it stick?

Can you be genuine in every action? Thought? And response?

 

David and Jonathan had every right to be jealous of one another. They both were heirs to the throne one by birth the other by marriage. They were both great and  courageous soldiers. But they put everything aside and above all odds became the best of friends:

“Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. You are My friends, if you do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knows not what his lord does: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of My Father I have made known unto you” (John 15:13-15).

 

*October 26th , Present Day

One month later: 

After finally (8  long months) getting my approved work permit I thought that it might be a fun idea to take it for a test drive and get the opportunity to leave the country and not be questioned or probed in any way. I was so excited I could walk through immigration with confidence knowing that I know hold a piece of paper in my hand that says I temporarily belong to the country of Uganda. Through a series of Skype calls with my dad and texts from my recently engaged sister, who is only 11 months younger than me, I decided after being away from home for nine long months I would walk through that airport and take the long journey to the other place I call home and catch up. Surprise! It was a quick decision that I made in an instant with my dad and we kept it a secret from the two people I connect with most: My mom and my sister.

I got to the airport in the early afternoon and walked to my gate while I was texting my family in both places. Sat in limbo sort of I guess you could say. After a quick 5 hour flight to Dubai followed by a 14 hour flight to Seattle I was home. As I flew into Seattle and all of the evergreen trees peaked out of the clouds that were covering above, tears filled my eyes, and my heart ached already for what God was going to be doing in my life over the next three weeks. It did not last long I assure you as the young girl in front of me turned around and peered through the crack in between the seat and the window. She stared at me until I shook my head and looked at her as if I was asking what she wanted. I wiped away the tears and walked with confidence through the airport that has seen my footsteps so many times. The escalator carried me to the lobby where I could pick my bags and met my dad standing there.

The days that followed were full of seeing people unexpectedly and watching their expressions when they saw me in a place that I shouldn’t be anymore. One thing that was on my heart so heavily is that I did not want to just come and go like the rushing wind. I wanted my time to be intentional and a time to encourage and equip others with what God has blessed me with. To all of you who I did not get to run into randomly or intentionally I am so sorry I missed you and I wish I could have packed more visiting in the three weeks I was home. I had the blessing of getting to have several speaking engagements and encouraging the children from my home church from 3 year olds all the way up to senior citizens in church. Let me tell you—I much prefer the three year olds. My story telling skills at the level is way more fun for both parties involved.  My conviction was really towards the youth this time around. I wanted to leave something that had meaning. Something that they could walk away with and use in their everyday lives. Something that I wish I could have had at that age. Someone who wasn’t much ahead of me. Encouraging. Sharing life. Someone who was doing life. So to all the youth reading this…ACCOUNTABILITY AND MENTORSHIP is what I want you to hear as much as I want to hear it for myself as well.

I am humbled and so incredibly beyond blessed to be able to be back in the country of Uganda serving alongside my “Jonathan” and building team unity amongst our ever- growing and changing team. What I want is for all of those who watch what I am doing and the things I am writing that it is absolutely and completely beyond me. The Lord is interworking in every area of my life. I fall short of His glory everyday and yet he picks me up and carries me to the places I did not think I had the strength to go.

What area of your life is God trying to get ahold of?

Shan

1 comment:

  1. I for one am proud of you and the awesome young lady you have become. Keep looking to the Lord for he will steady you along life's path. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to your next post; soon.

    ReplyDelete