Saturday, October 12, 2013

October 12, 2013 4:23 PM

October 12, 2013 4:23 PM

It has been a whole month since the time I have arrived in Africa and I am still totally in love with ALL of it! Wednesday it was Uganda's Independence Day- so we had a quiet day. We spent the morning at a high school performing a skit, telling the kids why we had come to Africa & sharing about EAC. We made chapattis (thick tortillas) with pizza sauce and bananas for lunch and watched movies all afternoon while we rested for Thursday. For dinner we had French toast.Yum. Thursday morning before we started packing Scott (one of our leaders from UK) led an amazing devotion where we all spent time in worship and just meditating on the word of God. It was so refreshing. We got all packed up to spend the night in the village and headed out. The village it about 50 miles away from the compound so it takes a good hour me a half to get there. We went to a primary school in the village called Christ's ambassador- I shared the bible story of the banquet. We finished early and after the kids aphid asked me questions about the bible I let them ask me questions about America they all wanted to know about NASA and politics: two things I have no interest in. We arrived at the church and set up camp inside the church all in tents. Lizards and spiders are all over the place and grasshoppers- HUGE ones. Once the children see our van they all start slowly making their way over to see us. They ALL ask me to bring them Footballs (soccer balls). Immediately we always see out two kiddos that live next door Sepha and Kennedy. They are both so sweet. Not long after that Alex and Luke made their way over to say hi. We walked down the road to the town center collecting kiddos all along the way yelling Jangu (meaning come) our small following quickly becomes much larger. (; we ran a program there where I was able to share the story of Samson and Delilah - I had some of the other volunteers act it out which makes a whole world of difference. It was so fun and the kids loved it! We got back to camp and had chapattis. Thursday night after dinner we had a time of worship and devotion and my dad had sent me an outline for a devotion on Broken things in scripture. I was nervousness because I was unsure how much sense I was making to the team. Especially after the long day we had just had. God was quick to erasure me though- someone on the team came to me not long after that and shared how he was going through a time of brokenness and how he was unsure how god could use him. It was such a good reminder to me to be open to sharing what I am learning in scripture and how God can use it in my life. Night time in the village is more incredible than words can describe. There are fireflies every sphere the light up the area around the church we even had one that got caught in our tent in the middle of the night. It started to rain and it rained HARD- harder than I have ever heard before and it was on and off all night. We were up at 6:30 am to begin manual labor. We slashed all morning-my arms and lower back are so sore. But it is totally worth it. Today we had a bunch of kiddos here for a party and made them lunch bought them sodas, and launched a Japanese lantern in the sky to signify them moving on to a new grade. Tomorrow we have Sunday school in the village and we have two girls coming who have been here in Uganda for a month with a different organization. Monday is our day off and then back to the village from Tuesday to Friday. Friday is the day that the big UK team comes. I am excited to have lots of people filling up our house. I will keep you posted. (:

P.s. Thank you to everyone who has given my parents money and snacks to send me. I a, so thankful for each and everyone of you.













No comments:

Post a Comment