Sunday, December 15, 2013

Gungor & Skittles

sometimes when you change your environment it gives you a new perspective on the past. Being here in Kenya has changed my attitude towards Uganda and everyone I know there. It was dark when my eyes opened Saturday morning. All of the lists I have been making were ready to be fulfilled. I clicked my phone on thinking that it was time to get up and the numbers 2:55am popped up. How had I not slept through the night!? I layed there for a while, listened to the rain & the sounds of music in the distance, and just stared at the top bunk. It all seemed surreal still that i even whispered it out loud, "I'm going to Kenya today" this trip came so quick not only does it mean Christmas is right around the corner but it also means that I am done with the majority in Uganda and everyday is going to be one day less. I definitely want to live each moment to the fullest and have no regrets. We left the guesthouse at 6:00am-it was rainy. I stared out the window while I was listening to the song Ocean (where feet may fail) and just looked at all of these buildings that I was looking at. All these people have their own stories and own individual stories. Who am I to tell God that I am inadequate-He placed me here. All I have to do is trust Him and do his will. Stop being afraid of what others will think and just serve. This is not about us and it is all about him!
We got to the airport and had no problems getting through customs and sat at our gate. David and the girls were all sitting in row 16 & 17, somehow I got all the way back at seat 31a so I got all situated and waited to see who I was going to sit with. As you all ow it's like airplane Russian roulette you never know who you are going to end up with. The doors closed and the seat next to me was empty so I had extra room it was great it was a short 45 minute flight so it seemed as if we started our decent as soon as we reached our height. They served chicken baguettes with a sweet bread and a cup of juice. As we began to get close to the ground the clouds opened in a spot so I could see everything below. Kenya is flat and very green. Pics could see animals running on some of the grassy plains and lots of vegetation from gardens. It was so fun seeing Africa from the sky. When we got to Uganda it was so late and we couldn't see anything.
Once we landed we had to fill out all of the paperwork and got up to the counter to get our visa and realized we didn't have any American currency because we have been in Uganda for three months and we are out. Thankfully David had money...I don't really even want to now what they would do if he hadn't been there. We were met by our EAC friend Dorothy who is the only Kenyan who lives here at the house. Driving back to the house took about an hour and so I noticed quite a few differences to Uganda right away. Like for example it's obvious there is more money here...lots of big businesses that I recognize from home and nice cars. Also. NO Boda boda, apparently it is a rare thing for people to ride bodas here (I knew that would make you happy mom). The house is smaller but very nice. Two stories the girls rooms and main bathroom are upstairs and downstairs there is a living room/ office and a small kitchen and small powder room. It sits in the middle of slum area but we have a guard that comes at night. Breakfast is wonderful- chai tea and real toast such a huge upgrade. Wow.
This morning we went to church we have to walk because we don't have a ministry van (like a real church and not a village church, it was so bizarre) and they had a Christmas special today everyone was dressed up in their Africa clothing and there was sawdust layed down in the aisles. They even had a sheep they they walked through during the service. Sang lots of familiar Christmas songs as well as some traditional praise songs. Sifa means praises and wamilala means forever. Those are my Kenyan words at day two. Dorothy had to go run errands so it is just us white people at home so we had to make our own lunch eggs, toast, rice yum! I am laying in my bunk eating skittle and listening to music. We are hoping to go find McDonalds later and go see more of Nairobi. Those of you that know me know I don't like mcds but I would anything that tastes like home at this point!

Ya that is Kenya so far.

1 comment:

  1. beautiful story. how i wish it was longer than it is because i was enjoying the flow of the story. you are a great writer Shannen, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete