Thursday, December 19, 2013

VBS & Pictures

Well we are finishing up day three of a four-day Vacation Bible school with the sponsored kids. There are about 25 kids on the sponsorship program and they are cuties. Right away I noticed how well behaved the kids are. Vey respectful of adults and there are many leaders among them. They correct their peers whenever they see fit and the play together so nicely. On Monday we had a full work days amount of a planning meeting it was intense. We dissected each day down to even the smallest tasks. We all went around and brainstormed new ideas and as with most teams we came to some minor collisions of conflict which were quickly brainstormed and fixed. It was great. Each day we do a different skit and act it out with costumes and fun props. After the skit we break into small groups categorized by age and dissect the lessons from the bible story we learned about. The kids get here at nine and then leave at 3:00 so we have a packed day. This is the longest the kids have ever spent with the team...it is so fun to be apart of this ministry. The staff and volunteers are so excited to get to know the kiddos personally and they want to encourage them and give them advice or just listen. There has been some language barrier but the kids help each other out. I have been spending most of my week with the younger kids like grade 1-3 (teaching bible lessons, doing crafts, and taking their picture)
We have to make all of our own meals here at this house....There is a shopping center here in Nairobi that is not too far from the house called the junction- you can take a nice long walk or board a matattoo (taxi) for just 10 Kenyan shillings which is close to 10 cents- not too bad. Anyway the junction has KFC. Subway, and even a frozen yogurt place as well as a supermarket called Nakumatt. We have been getting a couple meals worth and actually going grocery shopping it is kind of funny seeing the five of us operate at a grocery store. One might David made teriyaki chicken and fried rice, Tuesday we went out for pizza, Wednesday, Dylan made a chicken Alfredo, and then tonight was chapatis and pizza sauce.
** NEW***
So I have been given the amazing opportunity to work with two or more ministries and I have been given partial funding and I know that the Lord will provide exactly what I need. One of them is located near Kilimanjaro and is a sponsorship school and finds sponsors for the kids that attend school there. The other one is a in the Datooga tribe and are friends of my grandparents. Forrest and his wife Charity are in charge of the outreach ministry there. I am hoping to go there for a couple days in early January. I am so excited that I was not only able to go to one but now possibly three countries in beautiful Africa. God really is the great provider of all of our needs what a blessed reminder.
All I can say at this point that is am so glad I have no idea what tomorrow holds and that I know that. He has it all in his hands. My job is to glorify Him right here right now. I have been reading through all of the encouragement from that journal I had everyone at church write in. What a huge encouragement. I feel like I sometimes forget I have that and there is an positive word or scripture for almost anything I am struggling with. Thank you to those of you who got a chance to write in it. It is something I will treasure for the rest of my life. I am also so thankful for all of my new friends here in Africa. I know that this place will always have a part of me. I have learned so much already.
We are heading to our Christmas destination on sunday night. The beach Mombasa which is a very touristy place to go but we are so excited. The bus leaves late Sunday night and could be anywhere from 8-10 hours on a bus. We are taking it overnight with the intention and hope that we will sleep through the night...I will let you know how that goes. Dylan and Myleigh have a small candle that smells like a pine tree and thanks to teacher patti I have a small Christmas tree that will go in our hotel room to make it feel like Christmas. Des not feel like it is six days from now.
I talked to my family tonight. I miss them so much! My mom carried the laptop into the girls' room and let me wake them up I softly said good morning Viley I had never seen her jump up so fast. A go was so excited(as excited as you can be when you first wake up) to see me. Then they brought me upstairs to the kitchen and I sat on the counter and watched everybody come in and out making lunches and breakfast and preparing for a day of school. Vi quickly reminded me that it was night time here just in case I forgot- she was eating that oatmeal that has the Dino eggs in them when she crunched down on one she jokingly said art here bones in these!? Haha. I miss that little sense of humor. But I am SO SO happy I am here. I wouldn't trade it for the world :)

























No comments:

Post a Comment