Saturday, August 2, 2014

Free flowers and time

Today was another incredible day.

I feel like that is how I start every blog. I need to start everyday the same as well.

I get so hot at night...like on fire. I was able to find a fan from inside the compound and plug it in. I woke up with a sore throat. Pick your battles.

Saturday is our free day so I was excited to see what was going to go on. I am more than happy with having a home day, But since we had just spent a week in the village yesterday was a free day as well and we had the opportunity to just rest.

I got up and read from Joshua about how the Lord handed the leadership from Moses to Joshua and that he just continued to encourage him by say be strong and courageous. That is how we need to all be living our lives...STRONG AND COURAGEOUS. Period. I was reminded that even though I am in a different country, even though I don't speak the same language, even though I get weird stares and awkward responses to who I am as a person on the outside. I still need to be strong and courageous foe Christ. That was my mission and my challenge for the day.

We hung out around the house in the morning. French toast. In the midst of all of the rice and beans we somehow managed to score French toast, how that happened I do not know. We even had syrup from the local market. I watched a movie and just hung out with some of the volunteers around the house and stayed in my PJ's for quite some time.

Julie, Hannah, and I decided to go out to lunch today just to mix things up. We took bodas. yes motorcycles. The ones my mom told me not to ride. It was so amazing to be driving around the city again- it is so fresh in my mind that I was quick to pick up the directions I had from before. Since it has only been 5 months. At the shop there was a sweet older lady who was selling flowers and if you know me...you know I LOVE flowers. I couldn't help myself. I walked over to ask the price because I wanted to buy them for our dining room table at the EAC compound. just for something pretty to look at. I was able to talk with the lady and here how she had come to Christ and was indeed a born again Christian. She was very kind and we talked of petty things: where I was from and why I have chosen to follow the Lords leading in my life. I ended up buying some yellow roses from her.

We then headed to the craft market for Julie to find a few things since she is heading back to the states next week. As I walked through the locals are saying things like "Hi my friend..." "come take a look..." "looking is free..." "You come in here..." "Please my sister..." "Mzungu I have the best..." etc. Since I know a handful of words in Luganda I was able to shock them with some of my understanding and having conversations with them. Everytime somebody would engage in conversation or we would visit a new shop I just felt compelled to give a rose to each women I cam by! They give, give, give. They need to be appreciated and they need someone to tell them that God loves them and that they are loved and cherished just as much as all the tourists that come through here. I wish I could tell you about every women I met and a few gentlemen. It was most definitely a "divine intervention" the Holy Spirit pressing on my heart to love these women! The first lady I gave a rose to really was so much fun! She immediately called me sister and told me about her shop and how it came to be. Gave me a gift and just shared her life with me. Her name is Suzie, I will go back to see her. I got a few free bracelets, drawing lessons, and a lot of love today.

After that we headed over to Watoto central church! It was such an amazing service start to finish all but the temp. in the building for lack of better words, I was on fire. The choir came onto the stage with all the musicians and I though to myself and even said to one of the volunteers sitting next to me I would love to get involved and give my time serving in this church in the choir! We had a beautiful time of worship songs and then heard a message from the pastor from the watoto south church. The message? GIVING YOUR TIME! I felt so convicted that I need to be involved somewhere in a church while I am here. They even passed out little pieces of paper to put your contact info on for getting involved in church. I filled it out and handed it to an usher. Excited to see how I can get involved. You can definitely be praying for that- the Lord make it clear how and where He wants me to serve.

We took a taxi home. I am hot and sweaty. Time to drink some water and go to bed to sounds of loud music and turkeys out my window. <3
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. My shannie! I love you and am so proud of you! ����

    ReplyDelete