Saturday, August 16, 2014

This week in Uganda



 It has been a less busy week and we had three of our volunteers head home! So our team is getting smaller and smaller. Sometimes I like having a small team it gives you more time to bond and really encourage one another. This week was letter writing week so we went to several districts away from Kampala and spent time helping kids writing letters to their sponsors.

Monday evenings we do our prostitute ministry so I got to lead that because the rest of the team went to the village to help the teachers prepare lessons for next term. I recently discovered a Christian bookstore/ pastry store in a local mall that some of the other MST’s have been going to. They have some great studies. Originally I had bought the study of Ruth: Loss, Love, & Legacy for myself. I love Ruth. But then I got thinking why not go through this with our women! So we started the journey on Monday and we had a great time the study lasted for about an hour and a half. Some of the women participated in reading scripture, sharing personal testimony, and even praying. I am really looking forward to seeing how God uses this ministry to further His kingdom. Friday nights we go out to pray with the women on the streets. If you would be praying for us that would be so encouraged. J

On Tuesday we had a Kampala kid sponsor party and had about 100 kids come and spend time writing letters, updating their pictures, and bio/ medical form. We all broke up into separate teams and worked together in order that we could have a successful week. We also cooked a meal for them since that spent all morning with us. Kids started arriving about 9:00 am and were there until about 3:00pm it made for a long day. It was so fun though because I was able to see kids that I hadn’t seen in a long time! Some remembered me and we immediately clicked. I am so thankful for the friendships that I have made with some of these kids- I am always surprised at the kids who remember me. It is such a good reminder that we really don’t know WHO is watching us and looking up to us. To be guarding our tongues and encouraging and loving everyone you meet!  

During the Kampala party when the children had finished letter writing we started a dance competition against girls and guys. OF COURSE I participated. I had a great time! I really had no idea what I was doing either. In the midst of the dancing and singing and playing of drums it began to rain. When it rains here everyone finds shelter. I love it.

On Wednesday after we went to a park to do some letter writing at we went over to one of our team members, Andrew, home! He had invited us over to have something to eat. I am always nervous about that because they really could serve ANYTHING and you must eat. That is one thing I do love about Ugandans though- they are VERY generous and so kind! We spent some time crammed into his small but very beautiful home. He had made a cake, some cabbage, sausages, and more. We passed aroud the food and the small television was turned on and played familiar shows from the nickelodeon station. I sat and pondered how MUCH Americans have. Yet we are so greedy with it. It is one thing that I don’t think I will ever forget learning from this place.

Thursday we went to another school and did letter writing. Like I said the whole week was full of it. I sat down in a classroom with the other volunteers and waited for a child to bravely sit next to you. Its like they think you are going to bite them or something haha. One of the young girls that game to sit with me had a very peculiar name - Matrix. I tried to ask her some questions in English and than in Luganda and wasn't getting much of a response but when I got her book to help her write her letter her sponsors name was there Tina Sherwood. I was so excited because she is the other kiddo that the womens bible study is sponsoring! I got to help her write her letter and one of the staff members explained that I was connected. she didn't leave my side the rest of the time we were in that room.

Friday was another quiet day but got some office things accomplished. We still have a handful of kiddos that have been on the waiting list for many years waiting to find someone that will give $35 a month if you know anyone who is or would be interested please let me know! I will get you all the info you need. J

Today I did some laundry and we are headed out to go to church.  

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. That's a lot of letter writing! Love how God's hand put you and Matrix together! I love reading your blog and seeing the pictures. You are surely right where God intends for you to be! Keeping you in prayer and will pray for the women you are working with too! Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete