Saturday, May 2, 2015

Taking a walk


There is something so surreal about being able to slip my shoes on and walk through the compound, out through the gate and then down the dirt road to the market. Picking up fresh foods and bargaining prices with the local people in a different language. Being pulled so far out of your comfort zone that the Lord is the only thing you can rely on.
 

These last few weeks have been a whirlwind, but it always amazes me how the Lord reveals things in my life at just the right time.

This week we had a holiday program (The school year is split into three terms) As the first term is over they get a three week period off to revise their books and spend time with their families because many of them go to boarding schools far from their homes. So we as an organization spent some time pouring into our sponsored kids and having bible study/ letter writing/ health talks. I go to work with the 10th- 12th graders and I am so loving spending time with these kids. Not only do they scare me to death, they make me laugh and give me something to think about on my side. We talked through self- esteem and peer pressure mostly- but we also went into talking about how they are going to be the leaders of Empower A Child when we all leave. I am not just gaining names on our sponsorship list, but I am making friends. I will get to see these kids more during this year. I will get to be something that is stable in their life and get to encourage and love them and share more about God!

It got me thinking how can I use this for my future? What does the future hold for me and how can I get started on what God wants for me?

 

I started looking into Liberty University for starting to take online classes. I would love to be able to carve some time out and get going on my studies just something I am thinking about.

 

I am on a juice kick right now of butunda (passion fruit), oranges, water, and a little sugar. I can get all the things I need just around the corner from the house.



 Visa update- my volunteer work permit is being processed and should be finished up in the next two weeks. I am so thankful that this part is almost over and I won’t have to stress or worry about my visa expiring for another year.

We do a lot of what we call “bathroom worship” there are good acoustics in the bathroom area so last week all the girls got together and we just sang songs of worship to the Lord and shared what God was doing in our lives.

 I am getting so excited for the team from CRCC to get here and serve alongside them. This team has grown and morphed into what it is today. I have really enjoyed joining them via skype during their meetings and laughing and joking with them.

We are moving into the season Ugandans call Mzungu season- when all of the white people get out of school and come to visit Uganda. With that the organization is gaining and losing volunteers. During the winter we usually have a handful of long term volunteers. Well. All of them just left and we have new faces at the house. It is like a fresh start. Starting new and fresh. I was sad to see the people that had become my family move on to new things but also a huge privilege to see what God is going to do in their lives in the coming months. Also knowing that there is going to be a wave of volunteers coming in that either need or give encouragement to this team.  

I have been stepping up and working a lot more with the social media side of things: sending photo and story updates on what is going on here on ground.

We have been going into homes and helping the older people of the community of Zirobwe and just spent time listening to what is going on in their lives and asking them to share with what God is doing in their lives currently. An older man who is partially blind and struggles to walk to church was visited by us a few weeks back. He brought four eggs that were carefully wrapped to one of our staff members just to thank her for our visit.

 
My head feels like it is spinning-kind of like this blog just short and choppy. There is just so much going on I am not sure what to say. You know when you get into a lull? And you are not sure how to get out of it? I feel like that is where I am right now- going through the motions. Serving and giving my heart. It is just getting to a point where I feel like I am just fulfilling tasks without being able to fully recognize the blessings that the Lord is bring to my life through these experiences. I don’t have that same fresh look that I had when I first got here.

Facebook and other social media are so good at sugar coating things and making it look like I live a perfect life and that being a missionary is only about blessings. I can assure you, what you see on social media is true. Every story, every photo I post has so much life and joy in it. There is two sides to every story though. I just feel stuck.

It is hard; hard to be on the opposite end of the world. It is tiresome to have people constantly grabbing your arm or whistling for your attention. I am so over the carbs.

Just feeling Ezekiel 37.

Last week I was reading in 2 Corinthians about Paul receiving the thorn, a messenger from the devil as scripture says. Paul goes on to beg the Lord to take the thorn away and the Lord responds with, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” … Paul late says “For when I am weak, then I am strong.”  That even through a period of weakness, even when I feel like there is a thorn in my flesh- that the Lord is still a sovereign God who will be there through anything that He makes me strong.

So continue praying with me- pray for the team. Pray for me personally that I would continue to seek God’s face even in the times I don’t “feel” Him working right here. Right now. Pray for the children that we are witnessing to and the street evangelism that we do on Friday during the day in a nearby slum area and in the nights with the prostitutes.

So even in the moments that I am just walking to the market, that I will find joy in just being alive and getting the opportunity to serve.

If you would like to send me some encouragement via snail mail or a care package I would be so thankful for that:

Shannen Kennedy

c/o Empower A Child

PO Box 33273

Kampala, Uganda  

 

Yours truly,

Shan

No comments:

Post a Comment