Sunday, November 3, 2013

Heartbroken Happy?

We used the Sunday school shelter for the first time today. It has been a work in progress for the past couple of weeks and today was the first Sunday we had Sunday school under it. For the past two months we have been using the primary school next door known as Ebenezer. The same school we teach at every so often and where a lot of our kids go to school. 'Mualawa musumba' means Daughter of a pastor -so that is what all the kids call me now instead of Shannen. After Sunday school Luke came to me and said would you walk to our home I have a gift for you. When we got to the house Luke went inside and came back with long sugar cane that was twice my height that he wanted to gift to me. He said "I want to you to have this I asked my mom yesterday." (Now what I didnt know-when I asked Joseph about it later is that Luke really wanted me to have one so he asked his mom if he personally could give me one and he would work to earn it) also that this is how they make a living, they sell sugar cane to pay for basic needs like food. It is such a huge blessing to give that they willingly give. Part of me wants to deny it when they give me gifts like that immediately and tell him to sell it for food but I never do for two reasons: 1) it is rude culturally 2) I could not not except a gift from their sweet faces. I thanked him with a 'Webale Nyo' (thank you very much). Jennifer was still upset so I picked her up and she was reluctant to have me hold her but I held on anyways and took her to the shade, gave her some water, and because we were quite a ways away from the church I pulled out a granola bar from my purse and split it between the kids- they hadn't eaten at all before then. They ate it so quick. We stood there for a short moment in silence when Luke piped up and said, "In which month do you leave?" When I told him March he replied quickly with "mom was wanting me to ask you if you would spend your christmas with us here in Zirobwe at our house." This is where my heart broke and I was so happy at the same time. They have little to offer but they wanted me to be with them for the holidays since I am not around my family. I explained that I was going to Kenya for a month over Christmas so I wasn't going to be around, but you bet I would be there with them if I was going to be here in Uganda. I asked them if they could have anything what would they want for Christmas their response says a lot about the condition and the culture that they are apart of here is a list of things that they told me: rice, matoke (cooked banana), chicken, soda, and beans. This is a part of every meal I have and this is the only thing that they asked for. I am planning on buying everything on that list and getting them each a present that they get to open. My heart breaks and is also so incredibly thankful for he love that this family shows to me every time I see them. Grace is the one that is so protective of me. Even when mom tries to hug me or sit with me she always pushes them off and says my shannenneee!! Instead of getting gifts this year I am going to give until I can't give anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment