Thursday, February 20, 2014

Back to school

We just returned from a long week in the village. As some of you already know we recently purchased the primary school right next to our property in Zirobwe. The schools have been on their "summer break" for the last couple of months and Monday the 3rd is when they are all starting back up. The previous owners of the primary school took all the desks, trashed the classrooms, and even stole the gate off of the front of the school. While we are disappointed in the losses we are so thankful and excited for the opportunity to give our kids the best education possible. Last week I was given the difficult but exciting task to help sit on the interview panel. This was something I had never done. I was nervous because I want to see everybody succeed..out Of all the teachers only three showed up to interviews all with similar stories of dropping out of high school or getting the smallest certificate. While I wanted to just let everyone have their old job back i also want our kids to have top notch education. It was a difficult task at the end of the day but Tino was a huge help. We just finished up writing letters with all of our sponsored kids and it was sad to think that was my last time writing those letters with them. So weird to think I am going to start having many more "lasts". Anyway back to the school we spent the week painting the school and getting it all cleaned up and ready to use. We built up a new pathway and got the grass cut. We weren't even able to finish all the way but we are hopeful to continue working out there. The desks are being brought out on Monday as well as the new teachers heading out there.
In the afternoons I often find myself sitting in the grass with the kids playing motocar or whatever they bring up or I walk down the long red dirt road to find a small hut or house to talk and spend time with the village people. One afternoon I sat with a group of 6 women of all ages and none of them know English so it was a lot of miming and using the little bit of Luganda that I do know. I never get bored even just sitting there watching them talk there is something so beautiful about the conversations they have with each other. They all take turns breast feeding the same kid. It is such a different way of life. They want to teach me how to make jewelry. Mama Sunday gifted me her necklace.

I got quite sick last week it lasted a

So today, February 10 2014 Empower Leaders Academy opened its first primary school we have 8 young teachers on staff that are fresh from university and 400 pupils. It was an incredible start to the education system in Zirobwe and I can't wait to see the results after being taught by a new staff that actually cares about their education. We were up by 6:30 am and headed out to the village. It also was reminder that my time here is getting shorter and shorter and I can't stop thinking about it. I really love the people of Zirobwe so much I cried like a baby when Dylan left I cannot even imagine what it will be like once I am getting ready to leave. These people hold such a special place in my heart that I cannot begin to even describe. They are my family and I will continue to visit them as long as the opportunity presents itself. I love learning new words and trying to use the words I do know to formulate semi sentences. All the women out there are so fun they think it is the greatest thing ever when you can use a new word so they walk you around like a new pet and make you mimicking the words they just taught you and laugh about it and jump up and down--cutest thing ever. One of my mamas out there told me that her heart and all of the kids are going to miss me so much and I am nervous for that feeling of longing to be back here.....it is NOT ever going to go away.

20 February 2014
I constantly find myself writing things the Ugandan way now. It is starting to become a habit. These last few weeks have been so crazy I am glad they are beginning to slow down. I was able to deliver a bike to Alex in the village and get him a new backpack I am so excited for him. He went to school for the first time in three years on Monday I can't wait to find out how it went. It's getting loser to the time I am coming home and it is such a bittersweet feeling I cannot believe it. Oh I have another exciting story for you.
Nabukenya is 16 years old she has CBP and epilepsy. Often when we go to the village we find her in the middle of the road and have to stop and move her out of the road so she does not get hit by the oncoming traffic. My heart had recently been very burdened to help her knowing that her home situation was not very good. But to be honest with you I didn't even know her name. My guilt began to grow. When Tina and I first went to their house to get a bio from the parents we founda. Padlocked home with a little girl(Nabukenya) inside. The dad locks her in there for long parts of the day while he is in the garden trying to get veggies for him to sell. But it is obvious that his care for her is very minimal. We took her to the children's clinic and got all the answers we needed with all of my family and friends financial support. When we got to the Kampala school of the handicap I immediately fell in love with the children there. They are so sweet and they all know English so well. They were so thankful that I was there and automatically came to me and asked me how I was I could stay there for a long time and hang out. Anyway it looks like she has a spot at the school. But she needs a sponsor and that will cost about $100 US dollars a month if you know anyone that is interested even in splitting it up or if a bible study takes it on it would be a huge incredible blessing to her life. It would most definitely Change her life so much. She needs a sponsor for schooling and that would cover all her finances and physical therapy and epilepsy meds.


*****Also new news very urgent*****
Luke (14 years old) who has bad valves in his heart needs surgery. It is a life threatening problem that if it doesn't get treated it will kill him. He needs to go to northern Sudan to a heart clinic and have a valve replaced, it is going to cost roughly $2,500 I am going to do everything I can to get this taken care of. My heart aches for a boy who wants to go to school and needs a consistent diet. Which he has neither at the moment.

Sorry I have been so poor at blogging the last couple weeks. I truly have no excuse I have just been enjoying turning into a muganda. :)

If you have any questions regarding any of this please email me: shannengrace26@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment