Friday, April 11, 2014

Decision- April 11, 2014


December 30th 2013 “My New Year decree”

As I sit here on the balcony of the midview hotel in Kenya, Africa I want to write down goals and hopes I have for the coming year of 2014. Seems weird to even write 2014 I cannot believe it is here already. This means I am halfway through with my trip to Africa. I hope and pray that I have fulfilled all that God wanted me to in this year, but I am looking forward to what He has for me in this next season of life. I have learned so much about myself this year; that it’s not always my responsibility and that I don’t have to worry about the small things in life. Sometimes silence speaks much louder. (Ex. 14:14) God has always been the ultimate provider and I am so grateful for this experience. Knowing that my only job is to glorify Him in everything has given me such a great peace of mind. I want to be challenged with waiting on His timing in this next year. In the new year of 2014 I want to try new things and do them wholeheartedly. I want to show patience. I want to love unconditionally. And I want to serve.

Now to the part you have all been waiting for…what am I going to do next?

I have decided that I am going to continue serving the Lord on the other side of the world in Uganda, Africa with Empower A Child for two years. This is something that I have been praying about, and I have asked others to pray about and I feel like God has given me many unique opportunities and choices to serve him in any part of the world that I would choose. Gods timing is perfect and I don’t think He could have placed this choice in my life without a purpose. While I was in Africa I was able to be there at the same time that the founder of the organization and I was inspired that if he, a sponsored child from Uganda, could make a difference that is this big from a vision he had, that he wanted to give back to the community. HOW COULD I GO HOME AND DO NOTHING? He joked with me about staying and just not returning home in which I quickly went to Prayer and asked my parents be seriously praying with me. After thinking more clearly about it I came to the conclusion that my sister Megan was going to go to prom and would be graduating as well as various family events that I COULD NOT miss out on! As I got ready to leave I found myself getting more and more connected with the people rather than beginning to pull away. I found more ways to be a part of the village and reach out and find help for the kiddos who don’t have a voice.  I found a place where I could help and make a difference in the world. When I returned to America I told my parents that I was going to check in with them on a day-to-day basis to talk about where God might be calling me to go next. I was torn because I have always wanted to further my education and be able to help in new and exciting ways, but at the same time I want to take advantage of this incredible opportunity and realize this may be the only time in my life that I can take an extended amount of time to devote completely to overseas ministries. With that being said I have found a way to do both. I am so excited to say that I will be able to work under an unpaid internship with EAC. I will be working as a liaison between staff and volunteers as well as acting as an advocate for sponsorship and the power of 50 women empowerment program. I would be working on things in the sponsorship office some days filing, making phone calls, or just typing up reports. I would love to help expand Sunday school and make a difference in the individual lives of the children of Zirobwe. I will also be doing online schooling to further my education. I will be bringing books with me and in the evenings I will be working on homework and taking a full load of credits per semester. This is where you come in. In order to be able to support myself, pay for school, and have all of the materials I need I am looking for monthly support of $1200.  I am praying for 24 ministry partners to commit to 24 months @ $50/month.  This money will be used for sending packages, paying tuition, buying materials for Sunday school, medical needs, transportation, sending children to school, etc… I would love to get together with you individually if you have any other questions. Thank you for your continued support and prayer in this time!

2 comments:

  1. Shannen, I am sitting here with tears running down my face because what I have just read here is so inspiring. My darling girl, you are such a wonderful gift from the Lord to all of us! xoxo Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I praise the almighty GOD for speaking to you so powerfully and in an amazing way. i strongly believe you have made a tough decision to leave your family but its certainly not in vain because the Lord is going to richly bless you with his glorious treasures in heaven. he doesnt call us by accident but when he has a great plan for your life, he separates you from your whole world and prepares you for a great powerful world. i look forward to see you touch thousands of lives but most of all, i look forward to work with you in EAC which is one of the most blessed organization in the world.

    ReplyDelete