Monday, July 28, 2014

Uganda Day 1


Oh Africa! The place I love to be. Is it possible to miss something so much and then when you reach the destination it is like you were never gone?

Well that is me. Right now.

Sometimes I wonder why God chose me to come this far when it very well could be any one of you.

There truly is no better place to be. When I landed in Uganda I was in seat 16a so I was so excited because I thought I was going to be out super fast. Our plane was delayed due to a faulty seatbelt. Not the best news I had heard. The entire flight I thought what if it was my seat belt. J

                Christine my closest friend here greeted me out in the arrival area along with Luke (that boy who had the heart valve surgery in Sudan), Patrick, and our current Mzungu communications coordinator-Cassie. It was dark and quiet when I arrived at the compound, we lugged all of my suitcases to my room and I didn’t even open them I just left them there and sat in the living room for a while to let everyone know I had arrived- shortly after my head the pillow I was out! When I woke up this morning I stared at the same bunk I slept in the first night I was ever in Uganda. Which was pretty cool. I was greeted by familiar faces and introduced to new MST’s from all over we have a handful of girls coming and going right now.

Your perspective and mindset really have to change when you come back to a place like this. I am really trying not to relate EVERYTIHNG back to “when I was here…” statements. I am excited that things have changed and there is so much for me to learn coming back into Empower A Child. Like I said before though it feels like I never left.

Today is a public holiday in Uganda.  Eid al-Fitr (End of Ramadan). All of Uganda celebrates this holiday. Muslim or not.  I unpacked most of my things today. Trying to hide some snacks away in the luggage that I am putting away that way when I find them several months down the road it will be like an early Christmas. I feel so organized this time around. Lots of containers and boxes to keep my things together in one place I am really excited about that. It really is the small things in life.

The weather…. It is HOT today. 73* but I am roasting. It is kind of cloudy and earlier the rain came through. I love the rain here. It pours and pours so hard and it all happens so fast. It rushes through and then the sun shines again. So strange, DEFINITLEY… not like Port Orchard.

I took a walk to Tusky’s (the local grocery) and picked up some things and exchange some of my money. A laundry basin, water jug, and a few of my favorite candies from.

                We are headed to the village Tuesday through Thursday this week. I cannot wait to see my kids and families out there. My heart is full.

This evening we lead a womens bible study for the women who are from the local brothel and we had four women here. One of the MST's who is here right now really spear headed this new outreach for women who are involved in prostitution. We get an opportunity once a week to speak God's truth into their lives. What a cool impact we can have. I am really excited about this new program and excited to see how God uses it in my own life. :)

Thank you for your support and following me on this journey I am so excited to see what God has in store for me.

Prayer requests: To be able to seek God first in times of frustration, to be flexible in all and every situation, be a part of EAC without holding anything back.

1 comment:

  1. My heart is so happy for you! I could feel in your words that you are truly where the Lord wants you! I will be praying for you daily, so thanks for the prayer requests!! Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete