Wednesday, September 25, 2013

From Uganda to Kenya?

So this week has flown by faster than I can even type-AHHH!!! Monday we went to the Sanyu babies home- Myleigh and I sorted through the beans and picked out all the yucky ones. There were probably 2,000 small little bugs called bean weaver that were crawling all over the place it was totally gross. We also had a planning meeting at 3:00 to talk about what the week was going to look like. Tuesday we went to brainstorm primary and there were a lot more kids this week than there were last week. Most of the kids don't come to school until the third or fourth week of school because they have no idea what day it is so they just have to guess or wait till someone says that school has started we also went to a second primary school called Good Choice also nicknamed "bad choice" there are like 300 children there who all have separate classes and as soon as the bell rang all of the children run to the meeting area. You have to literally yell to get anything said. Wednesday I got to lead praise and worship for the team devotion and Patrick played the guitar we played: 10,000 reasons, Holy is The Lord, and a couple other songs. we went to Katelmwa hospital and rehab center and ran the program with a small number of children and did the silent skit about how to enter heaven. We also sanded chairs in the workshop for some time there was sand dust everywhere. We also went to a scripture union at Clive College where we go and chat with the kids and they take time out of their lunch to sing praise and worship and listen to a message and pray with them. Sandra (one of EAC team builders) lead a devotion. Some of the kids point and laugh as they don't know how to approach us. Others are so thankful that we are there supporting them. Lots of kids stand outside of the room e gather in and talk, joke, laugh. These students know what it is to be mocked and put down for their faith-it was such a huge encouragement to me that they still meet week after week to come together and thank The Lord for the things they actually do have. I wish I could take them all home with me. Jeremiah 29:11 has been repeating in my head over and over again- reminding me that God has a perfect plan for my life, a plan that gives me an amazing hope for the future. Gives me such a relief to know that he is in control of it all. The food is still really tough for me lots of rice and beans, cooked cabbage, and LOTS of starch. But I really am getting used to it. (: I haven't been eating breakfast because all that is offered is white bread, butter, and sugar. The carbs are killer. Packages cost about $80 to send so if you are interested in helping with cost please please pool together and send packages together so it is not one person many hands make light work. (: (I also LOVE snail mail.


ALSO we have an opportunity to go to Kenya for a month- it costs $400 round trip to get there. If up you feel led at all to donate please inform my parents, and they can enter money into my account so I can purchase that ticket. We will be living with the EAC home in Nairobi, Kenya. YES the same town that was recently targeted by the Somalian rebels. It is completely safe. We have all registered with the American Embassy with the STEP safe traveler program and have updates being sent to us regularly. Kampala, Uganda is next on the Somalian hit list so we are taking extra caution and being very aware of our surrounding. We are staying away from populated areas and keeping our eyes open.

Thank you for all your love and support. Each day is a gift from God and is more and more incredible every day.

Uganda Shan

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Shannen...I enjoy reading your blog as time allows and am amazed at your experiences to this point. God DOES have plans for you...you are living it and I trust that He will keep His hand of protection on you and keep you safe while you are over there. So that you can come home and share your experiences with us at CRCC! Love you and pray for you daily! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete