Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Today. Sep 17 12:05 PM
Yesterday was great woke up at 7:00am and went to the Sanyu babies home 25 minutes from the compound in the town area. Francis drove like a crazy man it was during rush hour so it was crazier than normal. I went with David and Omar to the babies home while the rest of the MST's slept in because of the rough week last week . When we got there we walked into a room full of about 3-6 months old they were all intrigued by my white skin some of them smiled and some cried. We got right to work we "laid" all the beds and tied up all of the individual mosquito nets. It was envy thing that you imagine an orphanage to be: dark, smelly, kids running around, cement floors and wall, old ladies. Yet the children have this amazing joy on their faces when they see you I am not quite sure how to explain it. It's all they have and they are so content. Omar and I put like 7 big baskets full of washed clothes on the lines around the facility to let them hang dry no such thing as a dryer here! That took quite some time when we finished we sorted through a huge pile of clean and dry clothes and out them in piles. Once done there I went into a small room where three children probably under the age of 9 mos. had been left alone. Two of the babies were sleeping and the other was unresponsive and could not move her legs or arms when a passed her a toy ball. At this point we were waiting for Francis to bring the van back but he had been delayed so we had to take another mode of transport- a taxi. Taxis here are very different is a big van that is hot and smelly and people are jumping in and out of. Between walking a mile and taking two separate taxis we made it home. I got my first marriage PROPOSAL yesterday. Haha it is a first of many. We also had a planning meeting yesterday to talk about last week and what this week is going to look like. Oh also, Wilson the man who started EAC is visiting for the next month and a half and was telling us all about the history of the land which the church is built in the village. He was saying that the spot our church building is is where there was much witchcraft and child sacrifice on that land and none of the people from the village would dare enter it.

Today we went to one of our projects called new Brainstorm a school for children who cannot afford the materials for public school as well as very low income families. The children there are incredibly smart and very loving. The minute we get off the bus they rush to you to hold your hand and to ask "how are you?" And "what is your name?" Instantly little Grace held my hand and did not let it go the whole time we were there two older girl who are in P.7 also known as seventh grade were really interested in talking to me asked me all about my family and had me write down all their names. The oldest of the two girls quickly said "you are Shannen right?" I was stunned I hadn't told anyone my name yet how did she know, then she told me how she had come to the compound on Saturday and saw me act out the Jonah play and she hoped that we could be friends. All the children write a letter for an MST someone that stands out to them and ry connect with and I got two with the sweetest little note that said to our Auntie Shannen. We sang our praise and worship and our bible story and then played games with the children. I also met twin boys their picture is below super sweet I told them all about Violet and Jasmine and they were so excited that I knew two people from America that look alike.













No comments:

Post a Comment